Share on Social Media

    Immanuel's history began in the mid 1880's with the founding of the first Lutheran Church of the Missouri Synod in Kansas. St. Paul's Church in the Clark's Creek region southeast of Junction City Ks is where LCMS families began to meet for Sunday Worship. St. Paul's Clark's Creek is the mother Church of Immanuel Lutheran. 

    In 1920, a meeting was held to consider a daughter congregation in Junction City. However it wasn't until May 3 1926, that Immanuel Lutheran church was organized as a district congregation. The first services were held September 19, 1926,  in a frame building at 10th and Jackson streets in Junction City. In January 1927, a frame church and home was purchased at 7th and Madison and after renovations it was dedicated on May 8, 1927.    

    The continued growth of Immanuel led to plans for a new church and in 1942 a new church was built on the 7th and Madison site.

    In 1950, plans were already well underway to begin a Christian Day School. Nine lots were purchased in 1949 and a tenth lot in 1951. In March of 1953, Immanuel resolved to build a two classroom school and parish center. The school was completed and dedicated on July 18, 1954, 700 W. Seventh St. In 1957 the school building was enlarged and staff increased. The school reached its highest enrollment in 1959 with 150 students. During its nearly 62 year history, Immanuel's School has had over 70 teachers and hundreds of students.

    In the fall of 1985, the congregation learned that a facility begun by the First Assemblies of God on S. Eisenhower could not be completed. In September of 1986, a Voter's meeting finally passed a resolution to trade facilities. The Church building on the corner of 7th and Madison was given to the First Assemblies of God and Immanuel paid $50,000.00 additional for the uncompleted Church and educational buildings at 630 S. Eisenhower. 

    The buildings on S. Eisenhower had sat idle for a number of years. The wood which had been exposed to the elements was deteriorated. An architect was hired to redesign the interior and make the best possible use of what could be salvaged. Members of the congregation formed regular work parties, and donated many hours of labor and considerable material. The building was completed in 1986, largely with the construction skills and efforts of our own members. 

    The dedication of the new Church and school was held on the First Sunday of Advent, November 29, 1987.

    Immanuel Lutheran School reforms into the Immanuel Lutheran Early Childhood Center in the year of 2000.

    Today Immanuel Lutheran Church sits at 630 S. Eisenhower where Bible Class meets at 9:30 am and  Worship Service is every Sunday at 11:00 am.

    Our ILECC (Immanuel Lutheran Early Childhood Center) is open Monday - Friday. Child care at our center is held  from 6:30 am - 6:00 pm and 3-4 year old preschool is 8:30 -11:30 am. Our Pre-Kindergarten kids have class from 12:30 - 3:30 pm. There will be more information on our ILECC in the ECC tab on this website. 

    God continues to bless the Immanuel congregation and School in many ways, and in His strength the ministry continues to grow and flourish.